Thursday, May 14, 2009

FYI, it's National Dance Like a Chicken Day

In my library we have two long, low bookcase arms that form the children's section and reading area. I like to put displays of children's books on the top--usually picture books.

Most months it's easy to figure out what to do. February? National African-American History Month. March? Women's History. And those are so broad that I have a wealth of books to switch in and out of the display, so it is always fresh.

For May I did have some mothery books up for Mother's Day. But that's over. We have about 2 books on Cinco de Mayo (which is also over). Memorial Day isn't until the end of the month.

So I went to the internet in search of other May holidays. I quickly discovered that each month is a cornucopia of day, month, and weeklong awarenesses. Taken separately they are very charming. Taken together they are hilarious.

Not the standard stuff, like Asian-Pacific Islander Heritage month, or Physical Fitness month. But asparagus, ducklings, barbeque, eggs, salads, hamburgers, strawberries, transportation, older americans, allergies, and mental health are all fighting it out for recognition in May. And that's just month-long. We can't forget Hoagie Day (a.k.a. Cinco de Mayo), Leprachaun Day (different than St. Patrick's Day), or Escargot Day, among others.

I can't wait.

I ended up displaying Caldecott & Coretta Scott King winners, though.

1 comment: