Friday, July 24, 2009

Personal Stumper SOLVED!!!!

This is a lesson in the importance of keywords. I have had two ongoing personal stumpers--books I read when I was younger that I can't remember pertinent info about for the life of me. I've tried to do searches for them before with no real results. One is a young adult novel that must have been published in the late '70s or '80s. It's about kids at a school. Some of them are freakish - one girl in particular is a type of beast. It turns into a war, children who live in the sewers may or may not be enlisted, and in the end the freaks win--but with casualties. The girl who is a beast is turned into a statue or stuffed and mounted.

I still can't figure out how to find that one, save going to my old library and hoping it hasn't been weeded. (Fat chance.)

The second is a series of mysteries set in China--they were long and sort of funny and slightly mystical. For a long time I kept doing the "mystery set in China" or "chinese mystery" search and turning up nothing. But today I realized I should be doing a search for "detective" and "China". Which I did, in Novelist (an essential database, may I add). And I found my answer: The Master Li novels of Barry Hughart. A Google image search confirms that the covers of these books are what I remember. But I'm putting a copy on hold just to make sure.

5 comments:

  1. Any chance it was this? It sounds similar, and I remember reading it around the same time period...too bad the catalog doesn't have more descriptors...wonder if it's in NoveList? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. that could be it, Leigh Anne! I've put on hold... while knocking on wood with my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, let me know - if I weren't so darned lazy, I'd look it up in NoveList for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got it today and it is definitely the one. You are awesome. Maybe I'll write a note to the Director and let her know how awesome you are. Is it allowed from staff? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Just doing my job, ma'am. I'm glad I could figure out the right book! Tell the director if you must, but I don't wanna be a praise hog - praise hogs get no love. ;)

    ReplyDelete